Wednesday, April 2, 2008

HELP!!!

So, I took Jacob into the doctors office yesterday due to an awful nights sleep. Before you start to think what is wrong with this woman, I should preface it by saying that he has had problems with breathing and all things upper respiratory since he was about 3 months old. So, I digress. Jake didn't sleep well, he was coughing and wheezing all night and I was concerned that maybe round 3 of pnuemonia was starting so in we go.
Once there we saw a doctor that I really do not like. (He has some personal space issues) He proceeds to tell me that yes, Jake has an ear infection and probably some "nasty bronchial thing" going on. He asked me to call the pediatric pulmonologist that Jake has been seeing and ask him to take Jake off of the steroids since they haven't been helping at all. After that he dropped the bomb...
"I know that you won't like me much for what I am about to tell you but I really think that you should consider discontinuing all soy, wheat (gluten), food coloring, and any and all dairy products!" WHAT!!!??? What is left? This seems to be the response that I get from anyone that I have told. This doctor seems to think that if we take him off of all of these things the breathing problems will go away in about 10 days. I agreed to give it a try, went home and began to look through my cupboards. Not pretty. I went to the store to explore our "milk" options and found that Rice Milk and goats milk are really the only way to go at this point. Now I just need to find out exactly how much gluten needs to be eliminated because apparently in rice milk there is 0.008% gluten...what is that? How do people do this. I know that lots of people do but I don't know any. I am currently on the hunt for some sort of support group because I figure there is no need to reinvent the wheel. I want to take advantage of information that people who have been through this have already found instead of spending forever trying to figure out where to start.
So, here is my plea. If you know anyone who is gluten, dairy, soy and food coloring free please let me know. I want to pick their brain, nicely of course...
Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails