Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summer Reading

Our local library is hosting a summer reading program for the kids that lasts the entire month of June. Each kid got to put their name on a little ghost and then for every book they read they got a sticker. After 15 stickers they got a gift certificate for a cookie from Subway and after 20 they got a free ice cream cone courtesy of McDonalds. We decided to continue it at home since they only went up to 20 books and my children could probably sit and listen to 10 books a night. By the second week of June they got their “completed” ghosts and both of the incentives. So, we have an apple for each kid on the refrigerator that they get stickers for books and once the apple is full (it is the size of a full sheet of paper and the stickers are tiny!) then we will have a fun little outing or something for them. Maybe we will take them to Barnes and Noble to pick out a new book. :)

Our library does a preschool and a toddler program every other week, plus lots of “special” events throughout the month. These pictures are from the last one that my mom took them to.

IMG_2517

IMG_2527

IMG_2516

Lily and I have also started a new endeavor in reading. I wasn’t sure how it would play out but surprisingly she has been really into it. We are starting the Little House series. Right now we have read up to Chapter Five of Little House in the Big Woods. She LOVES it and has asked me to read it to her numerous times a day since we started it 2!! days ago. We read 3 chapters in our last sitting because she didn’t want to stop. I am so excited! I remember loving them as a kid and I am excited for her to have the same experiences that I did. I was thinking that it might be fun to try out some of the things that they talk about in the book like making butter and things like that. More to come on that front later! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails