Sunday, July 11, 2010

Welcome to the World!

We have a baby! It took some doing but he is here and we are ecstatic! I will get to pictures towards the end of the extremely long post!
We went to the hospital at midnight on the 7th because in doing all the blood tests they found that my platelet count was abnormally low and didn't want to risk doing surgery on the 8th without bringing it up. So I went in to get a transfusion of platelets with the understanding that the surgery would still take place at 11:00. Well, unfortunately plans didn't work out quite as expected. After an allergic reaction to the platelets, benedryl and a shot of epinephrine they tested my blood and found that my counts were still too low to go into surgery safely. They decided to order some type specific platelets to have in surgery along with some extra units of blood and then sent me home until the next day.
We went back into the hospital the morning of the 9th, got all the prepwork done and I was taken into surgery around 12:30 or 12:45. Unfortunately we weren't able to do it with the spinal as planned because of the blood clotting issue so Joe waited outside of the room for them to bring the baby out.
Matthew Joseph Dapelo was born at 1:11 pm at a whopping 7 lbs 3 oz and 19 1/2 inches long! We are so excited to have him join our family!
The recovery time has not been bad, I would say that it has actually been easier this time than when we had Hannah. I feel a lot better and have been moving a lot more quickly than last time. We are still here at the hospital. My counts started to drop again after the surgery so they wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to need a second transfusion before getting released. At this point they said that I am stable enough to go home tomorrow.
I don't think that the reality of having four children has sunk in yet. It seems a little surreal. I think that once we get home and are back into the day to day it will hit home and we will really know what it is like to be a family of 6!

Going to the hospital day 1.
Welcome to the world Matthew! We are so excited to meet you!
Meeting their new brother for the first time.
The first and only time Hannah held Matthew. Now she is more interested in not spending time with him.

Jacob LOVES his new little brother. He has been really sad every time they have had to leave us here at the hospital. He wants him to come home and share his room "right now!"

Lily has been very patient with Jakes protests that Lily isn't allowed to do anything with Matthew because he is the big brother and Lily has to take care of only Hannah.

Uncle Johnny got to visit with his new little godson. Lily was a little sad that she was going to have to share her godfather but got really excited when she found out that she was still the favorite goddaughter and that Matthew would be the favorite godson.

Clearly my mom is in her element. Nothing makes her happier than having her grandchildren all together.
We are so blessed! I just thank God for all of His blessings. We had a safe delivery, a very healthy baby, and the best children anyone could ask for! 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails