Thursday, October 14, 2010

Being the CEO

There are hundreds, yes, HUNDREDS of posts online from people that are trying to “learn” how to maintain their home. I am one of them. I try to find new systems that will make things easier. I am not a person that is put together by nature. I never enjoyed cleaning my room as a child and I would have to say that I don’t “enjoy” cleaning as an adult.
I like things to be neat.
I like things to be clean.
I like to know exactly where to find anything and everything that I may be looking for at any time.
I want my kids to grow up differently. I want them to enjoy keeping things neat and tidy. To take pride in their space. To take care of their belongings.
I feel like I have things under control. I think I have finally gotten to the point where it is something that I just do. I credit the Motivated Moms products for some of that. Getting into a daily routine was a huge part of it.
However! I have to say that the biggest part of it is something that I just read today and realized that Julie Meyer says it best. Please go read it. If you are someone that struggles to figure it all out, read this.
A few things that stood out to me:
”The most important trick to taking the “work” out of housework is ATTITUDE.  If you can shift your paradigm about why we keep house, by altering your attitude, you have unlocked the key to happy homemaking.” Seriously! This is it folks. This is the big secret. She goes on to say…
“First, you must create a sense of pride and ownership for the place you currently live.  Many of us aren’t living in our “Barbie Dream House” but we can make our house, apartment, or wherever we are currently living, our ideal home.  I often hear ladies say, “When we get into a bigger house, I’ll be able to keep it clean,” or “Once we move into our permanent house, then I’ll paint,” or a number of other excuses as to why we aren’t happy with our current residence.  Ladies, we simply can’t wait to start enjoying our homes.”
“My final suggestion for unlocking that key to happy homemaking is gratitude.  With each task you perform feel gratitude: for the people whose clothes you are folding, for the plentiful food you are rinsing off the dishes, for the magic of flushing toilets, for the brilliant scientists who invented the microwave.  You see where I’m headed with this.  One day I put some inspiring music on the ipod and cleaned my house with gratitude, for my healthy, strong body performing the work in air that was the perfect temperature, with chemicals that really did most of the work.  We are blessed women who can be faithful stewards over that which we have been entrusted with.”
“To quote one of my favorite organizers, Peter Walsh, “Your home is the outward expression of what you value, what you enjoy, and what is important to you.” Yikes! What message is my home sending to my friends and neighbors?  Hopefully, I am steadily transforming my house into my ideal home.  By changing our thinking, focusing on why we take care of our home and family, and being grateful for our blessings, we can do all the chores and checklists with a glad heart.”
I am grateful. I have a beautiful home. I have a family that I love and want to have the best environment for them to be in. I am strong, healthy, and I can do it all. I want to be real with people. I want them to come into my home and feel happy to be there. I want my family and friends to see that I value my surroundings and I have done the best that I can with what I have. I want them to see me when they look at my home.
So, look at your home with gratitude. There are so many people that are NOT anywhere near as blessed as you and I are. I may wish that there were things different about where I live, but they should not keep me from making what I have the best it can be.
What I have also found is that taking control of one aspect of life such as the home will translate itself into control in other aspects of life. Food, exercise, finances… they are all things that you need to have control over. Things that you need to make sure you are staying on top of. I do not have it all figured out by any stretch of the imagination. I am learning daily, having victories daily, and also having setbacks. I am growing as a wife, mom, and person.
I am fine with that.

*Linked to Raising Homemakers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails