Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Basement

When we moved into this new house we knew that we somehow needed to make some extra space for the kids to play. There is a 3 season room and an unfinished basement. We found that the 3 season room is just too cold to do anything with. I was so excited to find out that the people at the church had decided to finish off the basement for us.

The first step was putting in a new wall to divide the space in half. We are keeping the unfinished side of the basement for storage so we installed wire shelving on that side to hold our miscellaneous boxes and things. The second refrigerator and our little pantry area have been moved to that side. I love that it is going to be organized neatly with everything having a specific place. When the wall was put up the missing paneling repaired.




We repainted the room (minus one wall) white. It really opened everything up. I usually try to use color but I think that white was a great choice. Everything looks so fresh. With no windows down there we need to keep everything as light as we possibly can.




The carpet went in this week. It is light colored as well and it is amazing how carpet seems to finish off the space. Now that the concrete floors are covered it feels like an extension of the rest of the house. It's funny, I feel like the room got bigger. A lot bigger.

I started moving all of the furniture and the kids things back into the room. We have set up one end of it as a playroom with all of the kids bigger toy things like the craft table, the kitchen, the train table, and the tool bench. The middle of the room has a couch and the tv with Jake's VSmile game stuff. The other end of the room is our "office" and guest room. The space is definitely a multi-purpose room. My plan is to get or make a divider to separate the office/guest room from the rest of the space. I have been looking at different places to see what there is out there. I haven't been able to find exactly what I am picturing in my head so we will see how that plays out.



Don't mind the really horrible pictures. I wanted to get a quick shot and was in the middle of laundry as you can see. The kids have been thoroughly enjoying the space so it is a little messy. I am sure that it will look like this 90% of the time so it's a little dose of reality.

Once everything is done I will post pictures of the finale. So far we don't have anything on the walls or the stuff out on the shelves but the big things are in the room so you can get an idea of what it is going to look like.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails