Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January is...

the month for making goals.

Some people make New Years Resolutions. I found sites that claimed that anywhere from 97% to 80% abandoned their resolutions by February. Interesting to note that only 45% of the population actually make resolutions because most feel that the resolution is only something that is going to be broken. I am part of the other 55%. I typically do not make any resolutions just for that reason.

I have seen a growing trend of people who still like the idea that January brings a fresh start and attempt to create "goals". I think this is a better idea. A goal is something that is attainable. Especially when you get very specific. Instead of the broad "I am going to lose weight this year" that many resolve to do a specific goal would be "In January I am going to lose 5 pounds".

I am a big fan of something that I read recently. Set up your goals to be monthly. Trent from The Simple Dollar sums it up very well. He lists his goals for the first 5 months of the year. He provides a pretty comprehensive list of ideas to work off of for setting goals if you are having a hard time thinking of things.

Joe and I have been talking and we are planning on doing the same. One simple goal for each month. It could be something quick and easy or something that is more involved and requires more time each month. The plan is to get things done, not to bite off more than we can chew. I want the things that we choose to be attainable and measurable.

On that note... my goal for January is to get the basement set up. We have been in a holding pattern due to bad weather in Georgia. The carpet that we expected to be in a week ago is not in yet. Because most of the stuff that hasn't been unpacked yet will be finding a home in the basement I feel like we are not settled yet. We anticipate the carpet going in tomorrow so hopefully that will be enough time to get it all settled.
Disclaimer: We need a room divider with shelving in it that we will not be getting until mid-February so that will not be finished. My goal is to get the rest of the room set up, leaving a space for that.

There are obviously other things that I would like to accomplish but that is the biggie. :) I want to have a full list soon but for the sake of getting this up I am posting with just January. Let me know what your goals are this year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails