Monday, June 6, 2011

Don't worry...

It's just a little permanent hearing damage.

On Wednesday after we got Lily on the bus and did the whole morning routine the kids really wanted to go to a playground. We started walking over to the usual one down the street and they decided that they wanted to try out the one that was behind our house. I thought it was a great idea for a little change of scenery so we veered off course and headed out. 

We got there around 10:30, they immediately spread out and started to do their own thing. Matthew was in the baby swing, Hannah and Harper were playing on the merry-go-round, Linsey and Jake were loving the slides, all was right with the world.

Of course, as usual, Hannah came up to me just before 11 and told me that she had to go potty. I looked around for a porta-potty or bathroom in vain and settled on the closest tree. We headed over there, got the appropriate clothing pulled down, commenced doing what she needed to do when the most horrendous noise started. Everyone started screaming.

When I say horrendous, I mean that my eardrums may or may not have started to bleed.
I yanked her clothes up, ran to the swings to get Matthew, grabbed the two older ones from the slide area (I tried shouting for them but they couldn't hear me), got Hannah and Harper and we sat next to the fence behind a tree with our hands over our ears. 

The tornado siren goes off on the first Wednesday of every month at 11:00. I didn't think much of it because it isn't usually too loud and I didn't know where the horn actually was. 

Well, we found it. 

It is at the playground. 

How they thought that was a good idea I will never know.

Everyone was crying and screaming and it lasted for an eternity. Truly.

Really it was only 5 minutes but it felt like an eternity.

It was the only time that the kids have ever WANTED to leave a park and I can't say that I blame them. 

So, it remains to be seen whether I will ever get them to go back to that park.

(For those of you wondering why we didn't just leave...the stroller was directly below the siren and there was no way to get any closer to it without our ears actually bleeding.)


On our way to the playground....
Yes, we get some funny looks while walking.


The signage on the tornado siren pole.

The siren itself.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails