Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pinterest Projects #3

So, I have had this one on the back burner ever since I first saw it. 


I was thinking it would be fun to get the kids to gather the sticks and then I would put it all together easy peasy, right? Wrong. Oh, so wrong.

First hiccup. There are no sticks in our yard. Absolutely none. I was on the verge of contemplating stealth missions into our neighbors yard to rob them of all of theirs but decided it was too much work. Just when I had decided that it wasn't meant to be (yes, I am that lazy) a friend of ours from church was talking about what a disaster their back yard was since they just had a ginormous tree taken out. She was lamenting all of the STICKS!!!

Off we went. I got the kids involved and we helped out a friend, a little. There was a lot going on back there and I only took home two little bags. 

I figured that after getting the sticks it was going to be pretty smooth sailing. I used some fun orange fabric, cardboard from the box that Jake's birthday gift came in and commenced gluing. 

Let me just tell you that hot glue is HOT. I mean, I was anticipating a few burns here and there but I was hardly prepared for the 2 gigantic bubbling blisters that I got and the burn that literally peeled off about 20 layers of skin. I am on day 2 of that one and it is still super raw and yes, there is blood. I am looking awesome with my Phineas and Ferb bandaid. Apparently I haven't used the glue gun as much as I thought I had because I clearly need to learn to be more careful.

(For you Rachel.)

So, without further ado, the wreath. I have literally put blood, sweat and tears into this one. :)






Quick breakdown of process: I didn't take any pictures since it was super easy. I traced a plate onto the cardboard twice. I traced a bowl in the middle of that circle. I cut them out and began gluing the sticks onto one of the cardboard rings. Once all the sticks were glued on, I started working on the rosettes. I basically tore the orange fabric into 1 1/2 to 2 inch strips and tied a knot on one end. I just started twisting the fabric and gluing it all the way around. The tightly twisted ones ended up looking more like they were coiled and were a little smaller than the more loosely twisted ones. I prefer the bigger, looser ones. After they were all done I just slopped some hot glue onto the underside of each rosette and glued them on top of the sticks. After they were dried I flipped the whole thing over and glued a wider (maybe 3 1/2 inches wide) piece of fabric that had been folded over for the hanger. After that had set a little I took the second piece of cardboard and glued that over the first piece, essentially making a little sandwich for the hanger to be secure.
So simple, right? Right.


Even after all the drama of getting this together, I love it. It is so pretty! I smile every time I see it.
Cost= 2.00 for the fabric. Everything else was stuff that was free, repurposed, or stuff I already had. Love it!

Don't know about Pinterest? You have to check it out. I love it. I adore it. I obsess over it.
If you want an invite please let me know. I would love to send you one. :)
If you are already on Pinterest you can follow me by clicking on the button in my sidebar. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails